ON CAMPUS PROGRAM
KanUquit Tobacco Cessation Program for students, faculty and staff provided by Watkins Health Services. This 6-week program is designed to help tobacco users identify a quit date and develop a plan of action. The program is free for students covered under required campus fees. The program costs $100 for employees, which includes a 1-month supply of nicotine replacement therapy (choice of gum or patch). Individual or group sessions are led by a trained facilitator.
- Week 1 - Assess Readiness to Quit
- Week 2 - Decision to Quit
- Week 3 - Establish a Quit Date
- Week 4 - Your Quit Date
- Week 5 - Staying Tobacco Free
- Week 6 - Reflection and Evaluation
Students interested in the program, contact Aftan Jameson at 785-864-9577.
Faculty and staff should contact Patty Quinlan or 785-864-9561.
Nicotine replacement therapy products can also be purchased in Watkins Health Services Pharmacy.
Thinking about quitting smoking? Plan to attend a free class offered by Lawrence Memorial Hospital twice a year in January and November that covers the basic steps to successfully quitting. Topics include: ways to break the smoking habit, pharmaceutical and nicotine replacement assists, preventing weight gain after quitting, and dealing with stress during the quit process. Call 785-749-5800 or email to enroll. For more information, click here then type "quit smoking" in the search bar.
APPS & TEXT MESSAGING SERVICES
- SmokefreeTXT is a free mobile text messaging service. The program provides 24/7 encouragement, advice, and tips to help smokers quit tobacco and stay quit. It's a 6- to 8-week program in which users receive 1 to 5 messages a day and can even receive additional support by texting one of SmokefreeTXT's keywords. Message and data rates may apply.
- The Schroeder Institute for Tobacco Research & Policy Studies offers a free app to download for Android or iOS devices to assist tobacco use cessation with exercises, twits and blogs from those quitting, and training tools. Downloaded the app here.
- Smokefree.gov provides free, accurate, evidence-based information and professional assistance to help support the immediate and long-term needs of people trying to quit smoking. Personalize your quit experience, get 24/7 support by downloading apps, and participate in daily challenges.
- Free information and resources
- How long has it been since you quit? How much money have you saved? How many cigarettes did you manage to avoid? Create your own banner and track your progress at Since My Last Cigarette.
- State Employee Health Plan/HealthQuest offers a free 12-week Tobacco Cessation program and Health Coaching for eligible faculty and staff and covered spouses. To register in cessation program go to HealthQuest portal, click in “Wellness Workshops” and register in “12 Week Tobacco Cessation” workshop. HealthQuest incentive: 6 max credits (and $60 max dollars if in Plan C, J, N, and Q). For more information or assistance call 1-888-275-1205 option 3.
- Caremark plan will pay 100% of the allowed amount for tobacco control products listed on Preferred Drug List (list subject to period review and modification). For covered over the counter products, you will need to present your physician's prescription order for the OTC items to the Network pharmacy and request that the claim be run through the CVS/Caremark claim system or submit a paper claim with proper documentation of purchase and a copy of the prescription.